There are several parts of the moving process that take some considerable planning and execution depending on the size of the space and the number of items being moved, and one large piece of this puzzle is the packing process. Some who are moving simply won’t have the time or desire to handle all their major packing needs, and those in this position will be considering professional packers for this job.
At CMS Relocation & Logistics, we’re proud to assist Seattle clients with a wide range of both local moving and long-distance moving services, with packing solutions as just one piece of our broad range of programs. What do our professional packers do for you, and is hiring them the right decision for your moving needs? Here’s a rundown to help you make this important decision for any upcoming move.
Professional Packer Basics and Expectations
Professional packers are individuals who have been specifically trained to handle packing tasks for moves. They understand the best ways to pack different types of items and how to protect them from damage in transit. When you hire professional packers, they will typically come to your home or office a few days before your move and pack all of your belongings into boxes — though the precise timing of their services can vary greatly depending on your needs.
Some of the specific services you can expect to receive from professional packers include:
- Supplying all packing materials that will be needed, from boxes and packing tape to bubble wrap and peanuts. This area also includes special materials for packing fragile items.
- Packing all of your belongings into boxes, arranging them in an efficient manner and labeling each box with the room it belongs in as well as what’s inside.
- Making sure that all boxes are securely sealed and will not open during transit.
- Loading all packed boxes into the moving truck or container.
- Unloading all boxes at the destination and placing them in the correct room.
On the flip side, it pays to be aware of a few things you typically should not expect from professional packers (unless it has been agreed-upon in writing beforehand, which is rare):
- Organize for you: While professional packers are happy to follow your every detailed direction in terms of packing, labeling and transportation, they won’t perform the process of organizing your own belongings for you. This is still a job you’ll need to take on yourself.
- Decluttering: No professional packer can be expected to know the contents of every box and bag in your home. It’s up to you to declutter before they arrive and make sure that only necessary items are being packed.
- Pre-move cleaning: In the same vein, professional packers will not clean your home before you move. This is another task you’ll need to take care of yourself.
Common Reasons for Hiring Professional Packers
Here are some of the common reasons why our professional packers are hired, or situations where they regularly provide assistance:
- Moving out of state: For many out-of-state moves, such as those where you’re changing jobs, you may have to move on your own before your belongings are fully transported. In this case, professional packers can manage the entire process for you, from packing to loading to unloading.
- Downsizing: If you’re downsizing your home or office, professional packers can help you get rid of unnecessary belongings and pack only the essentials. This is often a time-saving measure, as it can be difficult to determine what should be kept and what should be tossed when you’re in the thick of downsizing.
- Fast moves: In some cases, the need for a major move arises quickly and without much warning. In these cases, professional packers can be a lifesaver, as they can help you execute a quick and smooth move in a short amount of time.
- Packing for an international move: If you’re moving to or from a foreign country, professional packers will know the best ways to pack your belongings so that they don’t get damaged in transit.
- Disabled individuals: One group who benefits significantly from professional packers are disabled individuals. They can often struggle with the physical demands of packing up their belongings, and professional packers can help make this process much easier for them.
- Simple convenience: In other cases, professional packers are hired less for a specific need, and more for the simple convenience they provide. If you’re short on time or just don’t want the hassle of packing yourself, professional packers can take this burden off your shoulders.
Preparing for Professional Packer Arrival
If you do decide to hire professional packers for any part of your moving process, here are some tips on preparing the moving space ahead of their arrival:
- Clean and de-clutter: As mentioned above, professional packers will not clean or declutter your home for you. Make sure to do this yourself before they arrive so that they can focus on packing only necessary items.
- Free up space: It’s helpful to free up as much space as possible in the room where the packing will take place. This makes it easier for the professionals to move around and work.
- Make a packing plan: Having a designated space for everything will help the packers stay organized and make sure that everything is packed properly.
For more on determining whether to hire professional packing services for your next move, or to learn about any of our Seattle moving or storage services, speak to the team at CMS Relocation & Logistics today.